"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~Mother Teresa

Friday, July 14, 2017

Flashback Friday - This Land is My Land - Zooming Closer In!

Hello friends!
I really cannot believe that we've ended another week in July already!  Time is flying by me quickly, so I hope to be able to just relax this weekend and enjoy it being Summer! :)  I do have many things I'm working on and I promise I will share it with you soon!

*As I mentioned last month starting my "Flashback Friday" posts, that although these are previously made creations, I have never posted them on my blog up until now.  The only way you may have seen them before is if you are apart of the Splitcoaststampers Fan Club, as I made these last year during my time as a Dirty Dozen DT member and only SCS fan club members would've been able to see them.  I am posting them here for you as a "Flashback Friday" post so that those of you who are not fan club members are still able to see what I created for it.  I was not allowed to post them anywhere else at that time until 6 months had passed...so now I'm sharing them a year later with you as they were shown on SCS.  I hope you enjoy these creations clear up until the end of November!*
(To see all of my Flashback Friday posts - Click here!)
--------------------------------------
Shall we continue with the July creations?  The theme for the month was:  "This Land is My Land"
--------------------------------------
The plan for my uploads for this month was to take the fan club reader on a "journey" into "my world" and narrow it down to where I live.  So last week you saw the earth and the U.S.  Now I will narrow it down even further:
To see the original upload on SCS - Click here (fan club members only)

Here's what I said about this card on my upload post:
For the "This Land is My Land" theme, I have found out many things about my home state that I didn't know about! For instance, I didn't know that the Cardinal is our state bird. This makes sense to me as I see them all year long, not just in the winter time. But if you look outside my back yard window, you would probably see an image like this on my card because we have a wooden privacy fence with pine trees all around us. The cardinals are always flying around as they love to nest in the pine trees. If you look closely at the song music the bird is singing, you will be able to see what state I am from. (I found this sheet music by looking up information about my state. I printed it off on a piece of vellum and then sprinkled some clear EP over it since it was still wet after it printed out.) I love how this card turned out! There is so much texture and dimension on this. July is ALWAYS a good time to think about making some Christmas cards since it's so hot where I'm at right now! LOL!

I made my own fence by using a Wood-grain background stamp from Stampin' Up! and then made the "pickets" by notching the wood-grain strip with a square punch.  I used my ruler to mark where to make the cuts.  The bird was made my transforming a bird punch by SU! and then I've popped it up over the fence that was covered with some modeling paste.  I've also used some Lumiere paint to splatter some white drops on the background for snow.  I then used some liquid pearls in other various places for more dimension with the snow fall.

The sentiment is also from a SU! stamp set that I had which was embossed with clear EP using some pigment black ink.  This sentiment is one of my faves to pull out for Christmas!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else that I thought was pretty cool learning about my home state was our state insect:
To see the original upload on SCS - click here! (fan club members only)

Here's what I said about this card on the original upload:
I have continued from my state bird (Cardinal Christmas card) to my state insect which is the Monarch butterfly. Our state is also nick-named "The Prairie State" because of the vast flat grass fields everywhere. There are not many hills around us and there is probably a ton of prairie grass growing in many places. I see these butterflies all the time every Spring. They're so pretty indeed! I wish you could actually SEE the shimmer that I've got on this butterfly. He is covered with embossing powder and the vibrant colors are covered with lots of shimmer.

I would also like to mention that this butterfly was fussy cut out and attached to the card only in the center so that the wings lift away from it.  I wanted this card to be just as bright and beautiful as if you were sitting with me in my back yard and came across this butterfly landing on a flower...they are stunning to see for sure.  The tall grass stamped in the background is from an older Stampin' Up! stamp set.  The ribbon and card stock colors are also SU!

The really cool thing about this card is that when you open it, it looks like this:
This was a hard photo to capture, but if you can see, this is one of those "Tunnel Cards".  The middle section folds towards you and the inside of it folds it closed so that when you open it up, you get the sentiment inside that oval "tunnel" design.

I have used the same SU! stamp set that I've used on the front of this card and continued with it on the inside as well.  I've also stamped the silhouette cone flowers from the set which is also another wild flower that grows in our state.  I have purple ones planted in my backyard and love them!

If you would like to learn more about how to make a "Tunnel Card", you can check out the tutorial on SCS and you do NOT have to be a fan club member to see it! - CLICK HERE!

I hope you've enjoyed the "Flashback" for today!
Be sure to tune in next Friday where I will show you more creations from where I live!
Thanks for stopping in and enjoy your weekend! :)

(I will not enter these in any challenges since they were previously made creations.)

-----------------------------------
HUGS & SMILES
*Vicki*


27 comments:

Margreet said...

Gorgeous flash back cards Vicki!
Love the bird and the fence on the first card!
The 2nd one had a beautiful butterfly and I love that lace with bow. The inside is very surprising!
Have a wonderful weekend!
xxx Margreet

Mac Mable said...

So enjoyed reading about your home state and how you made your glorious first card. So much attention to detail...love the picket fence and the sheet music and how lucky are you that he cardinal is your state bird and that you get them regularly visiting? Your monarch butterfly card is so vibrant and sunny...bright and so very beautiful. What a stunning monarch butterfly and such a fun tunnel card..not heard of one of those before x Thank you for sharing these beautiful cards with us Vicki and very much enjoyed reading your post and learning more about your state x

Carol L said...

What wonderful flash-back cards you've shared! I always love a vivid red cardinal on a Christmas card, and yours is lovely. The tunnel card is amazing with that fabulous orange color and pretty design! Well done on both!

Sarah said...

These are really lovely Vicki and I love the story behind the images. The cardinal bird and monarch butterfly are really showcased beautifully. Enjoy your weekend xx

Heidi Stamps said...

These cards are gorgeous, I am so glad you are sharing them here! I LOVE that sweet cardinal! The bright orange card is spectacular, that is a hard color to pull off!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I got really curious when I read you lived in the Prairie State and the Monarch butterfly is your state insect, while the Cardinal is your state bird. So I did an internet search and learned what state you were talking about. I live in the Wheat State and we have both monarchs and cardinals that visit each year. There are vast areas of prairie grasses our state has set aside to keep intact for future generations in eastern Kansas. There are still ruts from wagon wheels that can be seen in that region. The connection is strong, even though we are further away than I first suspected.

Thanks for sharing these beauties, because they are both sentimental favorites of mine because of their subject matter as much as their stunning colors.

Linda Simpson said...

These are all fabulous Vicki, love them all!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lois Wyche said...

I'm glad I came over to see these other beauties. These cards are gorgeous. When you said the cardinal was your state bird, I thought you were from Virginia but the added info tells me you're somewhere else.

Tammy said...

Two stunning cards Vicki! I love that cardinal and the gorgeous sheet music on your first card! AND WOW what a stunning and colorful butterfly card, I love the fold and fabulous inside! Enjoy your weekend my friend!
Hugs, Tammy

Debra K. said...

Two fantastic cards Vicki! The Christmas card is just gorgeous. A really wonderful card design. Fab stamping and the fence you've created for your Cardinal bird looks so great. The sheet music is a perfect addition.
Your second card is so lovely and colourful on the outside with the beautiful Monarch butterfly but then you open it and the inside is just as fabulous. I'm loving these flashback cards. Debra x

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous outstanding flashbacks, love the tunnel card and just adorable butterfly.xx [aNNie]

Nana Connie said...

Love the stories about your home state of Illinois, Vicki, and those cards are marvelous. I really love that gorgeous cardinal and the sheet music on vellum is incredible! How wonderful that you found a state song. Wish I had time to comment individually on each post you've done while I was away, but time is short and the list of blogs I want to visit is long. At least I started with yours. :-D

Donna said...

These are fabulous cards Vicki and I like how you told about IL. I am in MO, I wonder how far away (or close) to each other we are. I am in St. Louis. Your Christmas card is stunning, like the snow and how you created the fence. The second card was beautiful and then I saw the inside - amazing!

Shelly Schmidt said...

I just love these cards- my home state as well! Most likely I have seen these cards, but they are new again today! LOL Awesome!

Dawn Frost said...

Gorgeous cards Vicki thank you so much for sharing them!

Pia S said...

So glad you shared these cards on your blog. The cardinal card feels so traditional and cozy. The winter scene looks like a scene from Norway too, but or would be with a robin instead of a cardinal. I've never seen a cardinal in real life, I actually learnt about their existence here in blogland.
The butterfly is gorgeous, great touch not glueing the wings for a bit of dimension. I'm not sure what would be the most common insect in My part of the world. Probably mosquitoes, yuck..

Donna Ellis said...

Your cards are breathtaking, Vicki! I especially like what you wrote regarding the meaning behind each, and the love of your country. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. My favorite parts are the amazing colors, and the gorgeous vellum with music! hugs, de

Fiki said...

gorgeous cards!
have a nice day
hugs

Linda Simpson said...

These are gorgeous Vicki, love the cardinal and layout of the Christmas card. The second card I am so loving these colours and the design.
Hugs
Linda xxx

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards and interesting information behind the images chosen-great texture and love the music score on vellum-the butterfly is gorgeous and love the hot sunny colours
Carol x

Lori Kobular said...

Two gorgeous cards! I love the sentiment on the Christmas card and that butterfly is absolutely gorgeous!!

Davi said...

Fabulous cards Vicki!! I love the fence and snow on the first! The butterfly is Stunning and the tri fold beautiful! Such talent you have my friend :)

Bastelkueken`s Kreative Welt said...

Your cards are fantastic and so wonderful....

Hugs Anja

Lola said...

Oh my goodness! So much detail on your gorgeous Christmas card. And boy your butterfly is bright and beautiful - plus we are huge butterfly fans and do what we can to keep them happy in our yard.

JD/ Jill said...

Fabulous cards! Really like your "tunnel" card! Been a while since I have tried one of those...I think you have inspired me...

Andrea, said...

2 fab cards Vicki, I love the first one the design, images and colours are perfect

Lynn McAuley said...

Three remarkable beauties!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...